Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Veggie Burgers

I love a good veggie burger.  For me, a good veggie burger isn’t one that is pretending to be a beef burger; it is proudly not meat and doesn’t try to taste like meat.  Instead, it will taste of beans or rice and seasonings and maybe even some veggies.   

There used to be a restaurant in Winnipeg that had a great veggie burger, and when I lived there I’d make sure I went periodically to enjoy one.  Alas, the restaurant is gone and so am I, so that’s no longer an option. 

I’ve been looking for a good recipe for awhile now so I can make my own, and I finally found two – count ‘em, two! – one online and one in a grilling magazine.  I am thrilled.  I tried the recipe from the magazine last night and it was everything I look for in a veggie burger – very slightly dry, lots of wonderful seasonings, beans, and a certain something I can’t put my finger on.  It reminded me slightly of falafel (that must have been the cumin and garlic) without making me think I was eating falafel. 

For anyone who is picky about their veggie burgers and is looking for a good recipe, I offer the following.  It is taken from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications Grilling, Spring, 2009.  I have left out an accompaniment for the burgers because I didn’t try it.

Cracked Wheat Burgers

1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup cracked wheat
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup drained and rinsed canned pinto beans
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro sprigs
3 cloves garlic
 1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 cup soft (fresh) whole wheat breadcrumbs

In a medium sauce, sauté 1/2 cup onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender.  Stir in cracked wheat and water; bring mixture to a boil, reduce and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or til water is absorbed.  Transfer to medium bowl. Stir in soy sauce.

In food processer, combine beans, walnuts, remaining onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin and cayenne.  Process until mixture is combined and pastelike.  Stir walnut mixture into wheat mixture and add breadcrumbs.  Stir well til combined.

Shape into 6 patties; cover and chill for 1 ½ hours.

Brush patties with a bit of olive oil; grill over medium heat about 4 minutes per side.  Serve on thin burger buns.

While I was making these burgers, I learned two important things:

1.  When you are cooking the cracked wheat in that little amount of water, the wheat absorbs the water really, really quickly and it all sticks to the bottom of the pot.  When that happens, it’s really, really hard to clean the pot.

2.  When toasting walnuts in a pan on the stove and a walnut jumps out of the pan when you are stirring, don’t pop it into your mouth … nuts hold heat very well. 

Next week I’m going to try the mushroom burgers (which are more than just portabello caps.  If memory serves, they have mushrooms, chickpeas and …. Well, there goes the memory) and if they live up to my expectations, I’ll pass that recipe along as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment