Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Luddite's Lament - Part 2

Pretty soon I’m going to have to turn in my Luddite credentials … I am starting to use technology I previously shunned and mocked.  How could it have come to this?

Where to begin.  I guess I have to start with the new TV that will be coming into the house in the next few days.  It’s not huge, but it qualifies as a big screen TV.  I still say no one needs a big screen TV and heaven knows I wouldn’t have gone out to look for one, but this one essentially fell into our laps; what could we do?  We’ve been running around looking for furniture to accommodate the beast.  And what is a new TV without new speakers?  I will confess that our previous speakers were 30 years old and it was time to replace them.  Our music sounds way better now and I guess the new TV will sound that much better, too.  I love the new speakers.  At least they don’t count as caving on new technology – we need speakers if we want music.

And then there’s the book reader.  Jim received one awhile ago and started downloading and reading books on the reader.  He liked it.  He raved about one of the books and thought I’d really like it.  Problem was, it lived on the reader and there was no point in buying a paper copy.  So I started reading on the book reader.  And now I don’t mind it.  In fact, I think I may read another book Jim has downloaded before I give the unit back to him.

Is this the end for paper books and discrete TVs in our house?  No!  I can’t let it happen! I’ve got a few books lined up to read after I’m done with the book reader and I’m visualizing lounging on the couch, clutching a book and enjoying the heft of it.   As for the TV … well, when I’m in the same room as the big TV I’ll watch that.   I hope I’ll still be content to watch the smaller TVs after that.  I’ll make a point of being content – it would be embarrassing to embrace the big screen after I’ve noisily (and self-righteously, I fear) objected to getting one for so long.

Oh, who am I kidding?  I’ll be eating crow in no time.  But then what’s next?  A smart phone?  A book reader of my own?  A GPS in the car?  I shudder to think.  Is there a Luddite support group I can call?  I think I need help.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, a GPS isn't such a bad thing ;)
    Paul got one for Christmas last year, and it has been most excellent for finding places we have never been to before. Also... it gives you someone else to talk at in the car. Mostly things like '-What did you call that street? Really?' and 'I don't care if you think the back roads are a shorter route than the freeway. We are -not- doing a U-turn..'

    ReplyDelete