Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A mid-year's resolution


A few years ago, I received daily emails with a “mosaic of the day”.  A mosaic artist was inspired by another artist's fundraising project – painting something small every day and offering it for sale online, with all proceeds going to a particular charity.  The mosaic artist liked the idea and did the same in mosaics and she produced some beautiful works.  Unfortunately, she was interrupted so the daily emails stopped and then I changed email addresses and I’ve never seen another one since. 

Then just this past spring, I heard a speaker at conference talk about his daily blogs.  He made himself write something every day even though he often had nothing to talk about.  His secret?  He used a random word generator to give him a word, and then he’d write something about it and try to relate or connect it to something people might be interested in.  (I tried a random word generator a few weeks ago – the word given to me was “cheerlessness” …hardly the topic for a sporadic blogger to write about.)  The point that most stayed with me was the regularity of his posts. 

The obvious thread here is that I was impressed with the commitment these two people showed when they produced something every day, no matter how difficult it proved to be.  

And that’s how I wanted to approach this blog this summer - I (privately but hopefully) resolved to write something here every day.  Well, so much for that.  And it’s probably just as well because I would have been obligated to write about cheerlessness when I had nothing to write about.  I’m pretty sure that would have been a waste of everyone’s time – mine for writing it and yours for reading it.   

So I make this resolution instead:  I resolve to write something once a week.  Something worth my time and your time.  Maybe if I make this commitment in writing, it’ll actually stick. 

I’ll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment