Monday, March 12, 2012

Hallelujah!

On Saturday, Jim and I watched YouTube videos for a good part of the evening.  It started because I was looking for a video of the Notting Hillbillies “Feel Like Going Home”.  It’s one of the saddest songs I have ever heard – not the sad story songs of country music, but an achingly sad song from someone totally beaten by life.  It’s wonderfully done on the album, and I wanted to see a performance of it. 

Then I wanted to see if there was a video of Patricia O’Callaghan’s rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”.  I remember seeing a video of it a long time ago, and it was what turned me on to the song (long before the song became “the” song) and Patricia O’Callaghan.  We found a few videos (one of which I really liked), and then we started watching other artists’ versions of the same song.  There are so many versions of the song, but few really good ones.  Here are the ones I liked best, in no particular order.

Patricia O’Callaghan - love her voice.  Her version is perhaps a bit pristine and over-controlled, but it’s the voice that does it for me.  I could listen to her over and over again.  (And did!)

Jeff Buckley – I was told that Jeff Buckley had the definitive version.  After watching his unadorned, emotionally raw performance, I can’t say I liked it best, but it certainly is a powerful performance.

K.D. Lang – love her voice.  The best video was of her performance at the induction of Leonard Cohen into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame and Leonard Cohen was sitting in the front row of the auditorium – talk about pressure!  K.D. Lang has such a fabulous voice - it seems so effortless. 

Jon Bon Jovi (unplugged) – a surprising performance.  Not great, but interesting and obviously emotional for him.  I first heard this version with the tv volume low and wasn’t too impressed – it really shines, though, with the volume higher. 

Those are my top four.  I’d be interested to know if there are others I didn’t get to that I should have.

By the way, here’s the link to the Notting Hillbillies’ “Feel Like Going Home” that started the evening – it’s worth watching even though the video recording isn’t very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment