Friday, May 13, 2011

Blossom Time

One of the most wonderful sights of spring are blossoms.  Spring has been late this year, but we’re starting to see a few blossoming trees here and there.  Our own ornamental apple tree barely has the beginnings of leaves; the blossoms are going to be late.  They are worth waiting for, though – intense purple-pink flowers last for a few days before they drop.

One of my favourite trees is just at the end of our crescent.  The tree is a “weeping” tree – or at least that’s what I call it.  It’s an ornamental fruit tree of some sort, and its branches arch gracefully down toward the ground.  The blossoms are a delicate pink-tinged creamy white and their fragrance is out of this world.  When that tree is in full blossom, I make sure I walk past it when I’m walking the dog.  He probably wonders why I let him sniff in the area for so long without urging him to move, but I am content to let him enjoy his doggy scents on the ground while I enjoy the heavenly scent of the blossoms.

Pretty soon the fruit trees in Niagara should be blossoming.  The view is magnificent – orchards of pinks and whites.  Long lines of vehicles drive up and down the Niagara Parkway to enjoy the blossoms, and it is one of the few times I don’t resent being caught in slow traffic.  To blow on through without slowing down to enjoy the short-lived burst of colour would be a shame.

This morning I noticed my favourite of blossoms – a magnolia.  Those waxy petals of pink and white are the most beautiful blooms of spring.  I had no idea that magnolias could or did grow in southern Ontario until I moved here.  At first I didn’t know what they were, but I would slow and stop and enjoy them if I was driving or walking past a magnolia in bloom.  I finally found out what they were, and looked around my yard to see where I could plant one.  There’s no room in our front yard, which has been taken over by a giant, wide-spreading maple tree and an ornamental apple tree.  There was no room in the back, either.  Jim was less than keen about planting a magnolia even if we had room – he pointed out the masses of sad, brown petals covering the lawns after the trees shed the blooms.  They aren't the nicest reminder of the beauty that was. 

So, I will enjoy the magnolias that adorn other people’s yards and be thankful that others love them and plant them, and I’ll let everyone else enjoy my ornamental apple when its time comes to blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment