Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I've gotten my feet wet; now I'll jump right in

I’ve been going through a very interesting exercise over the last few days, and it may change how I view social media and how I participate in it.

I was made aware of a blog post that had to do with the industry in which I work, and there were a number of comments made that I felt were misleading, misguided and self-serving.  I decided to post a comment myself, anonymously (because what I said may be seen to conflict with the work I do), and see what happened.  My comment was one of two that didn’t agree with the original opinion expressed.  What happened was interesting. 

In my comment, I offered a lengthy, fairly detailed explanation of why I thought the blogger – and those supporting his opinion – needed to look at things differently.   I was not rude; I was not unkind.  At worst, I was blunt. 

It didn’t take long before there was a comment on my comment – it came from someone I’ll call Commenter #1.  Commenter #1 was condescending   he or she pretty much said that I should run along and bother someone else – my comments weren’t valuable or valid. 

I couldn’t help myself – I replied, and offered a fuller explanation of where I was coming from and what my experience had been.  I also said that some of his or her arguments didn’t hold water because they were irrelevant to the topic and the conversation.   Again, I wasn’t rude, I wasn’t unkind and I most certainly wasn’t condescending.  Okay, I was blunt.

Then there were three comments to mine.  The first was actually reasoned and articulate and appropriate.  I appreciated that.  I still didn’t agree with what he/she said, but whoever it was presented his or her case very civilly.  The second response was less reasoned and appropriate – the writer suggested I was lying, that I was uninformed and that until I knew what I was talking about I shouldn’t be making any comments.  I should mention that I know more about the subject than I was letting on.

And then there was a response from Commenter #1.  He or she was condescending in the first message; they were downright rude and insulting in the second.  Suggested that I was totally wrong, I was lying and I had no credibility whatsoever.  Hmm. Really? 

And I couldn’t help myself – I posted another comment to respond to the last three comments, noting my appreciation for the first, and then explaining to Commenter #1 in detail why my credibility was just fine, thank you very much.

So … I am now waiting to see if there is any further response.  I’m not sure if I’m getting tired of this game or not.  It’s not like I’m invested in this particular issue – I just thought it was interesting.  I wanted to be part of the blogging community beyond writing my own little blog.  And for my efforts I was called a liar and told to run along home.

Part of what is so interesting is how the anonymity of the blogging process – no one used their names, just initials or descriptors – can take away people’s desire to filter what they say.  I doubt that some of the comments that were made to me would have been made to my face; they probably would have been worded differently if we were all identifying ourselves. 

Once I started thinking in that vein, I wondered how much I filter – or don’t filter – what I say in my own blog.  There are friends who read my comments and they know me – they know if what I’m saying is true to who I really am.  So I obviously filter a few things.  What would I say, though, if this was totally anonymous and I just wanted to blow off steam? 

It’s been a fun experience to contribute to someone else’s blog.  I’m glad I resisted getting angry or hurt by what others wrote to me in their comments – and there is no mistaking that they were writing “to” me – because I can see where that would lead to saying things that are hurtful in response.   

Up until now I’ve been afraid – for what reason I don’t know – to participate in other people’s blogs; I believe that now I’ve gotten my feet wet, I’m ready to jump in further.  I have identified some blogs I find interesting, and I think I’ll feel freer to comment – good or bad – and see where it leads.

1 comment:

  1. Hey look! I am posting a comment in someone else's blog! I suspect, however, that this doesn't count, on the grounds that I don't actually have a blog of my own at all.

    I have posted comments in other people's blogs before, but only once because the subject matter was an issue that I had strong feelings about. Since I agreed with the original poster's expressed opinion, it didn't lead to controversy or rudeness. (And to be fair to the person whose post I commented on... I don't think he would ever be rude or dismissive just because someone expressed a different point of view.) On the other hand, I've seen the phenomenon that you experienced many times before, on blogs and in forums. It seems that there are people out there who want to use their chosen social medium not to initiate discussion or debate, but to propagandise. Being rude and dismissive seems to be the favoured option of far too many people who are not open-minded enough to engage in debate.

    ReplyDelete