Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The baton is passed but the race isn't over yet

Is anyone else who is, like me, a woman of a certain age (I love that phrase.  It’s so much nicer than middle aged or older) surprised when they look in the mirror?  And I don’t mean surprised in the best way.

When I look into the mirror each morning, I expect to see my former face – the one I saw when I was in my 30s.  That expectation is based, I think, on how I often feel – like I can do anything and the future is waiting for me.  For the most part, I still feel young.   And then I see my face, realize that it’s 20 or 25 years later and that future is now.

I see my mother’s face.  I’m not an exact replica of her, but the general shape of my face is the same and my (real) hair colour – which makes itself apparent annoyingly often – is hers as well.  It’s always a big surprise to see her staring back at me.

The bigger thing for me, I think, is that I not only see my mother in the mirror, but I feel like I’ve turned into her.  It’s like we were running a relay and now she’s passed the baton on to me.

It started when I had a child of my own and started using the phrases and not-so-subtle guilt trips my mother used on me.  I always swore I would never use those phrases or guilt my son into doing anything the way my mother did me, but – lo, and behold (one of my mother’s phrases) – there I was, as exasperated by my son as my mother was by me, and saying to him exactly what my mother said to me.  At some point I realized what I was doing, and I mentally gave myself a piece of my mind (another of my mother’s phrases).  It didn’t stop, though … what I heard and learned as a child I passed on to my own. 

The next step of the transformation was turning into a domestic ... I was going to say “goddess”, but that would be pushing it.  I was a stay at home mom who cooked real meals every day, had baked snacks waiting for my son when he came home from school, organized the household  … everything that my mother did. I started thinking that her weekly cleaning of our house – a thorough, spic and span cleaning – wasn’t such a bad idea, even though I had pooh-poohed it throughout my teens and twenties.  (I even tried doing it for awhile, until I realized that I was the only one in our house who cared what it looked like, so gave it up.)  I often visualized my mother doing the same things in the kitchen and around the house where I grew up.   Even though the days of my own domesticity have long gone, the images of my mother remain. 

And now I look in the mirror and discover that I’ve taken on not only my mother’s face but her body as well.  Gone is the shapeliness of my youth; instead, I have the thicker-set middle aged body that looks remarkably like my mother’s.

The baton has been passed.  I never even knew we were in this race until I realized the baton came to me.  But now I get to choose how the rest of the race will be run.  Will I continue in my mother’s course or will I get off track and find my own way? 

No comments:

Post a Comment