Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Little Quiet Time

It's a quiet Easter morning.  Apart from the dog, I'm the only one in the house who has made it out of bed.  It's quiet outside, too - there is virtually no wind, and no one else was out in the streets when I took the dog for a walk just awhile ago.

As much as I resent waking up early even on a weekend morning, there is something wonderful about the quiet and the chance to sit quietly by myself.  I'm waiting for the warmer weather to arrive so I can take my coffee outside and enjoy the warmth and quiet noises of nature.  I am lucky enough that, when the air is just right, I can't hear the noise from the not-so-far-off highway that bisects the city where I live.  When it's just right, it's like I live in the country.  I can close my eyes and hear the squirrels chatter to each other; I can listen to the sounds of the birds singing whatever song it is they sing, and I can pretend I'm not surrounded by highways and often-busy streets.

That's when it's warm and lovely, of course.  Today is overcast and cool and just a little drizzly.  It's still, though, and I enjoyed one of those quiet walks.

Does everyone who lives in a city - no matter how large or small - dream about the quiet that lies just beyond the boundaries of their everyday lives?  I do.  I'm not sure where the yearning for quiet comes from - I don't live in a noisy household and the noise that surrounds me is often the noise of my choice - music, for the most part.  I don't live a busy life, either.  Gone are the days when I was ferrying my son here and there for lessons or practices, and trying to fit it other things around his schedule.  I am very much a homebody, and enjoy puttering around the house.  I am not pulled in all directions and am pretty much free to spend my time as I choose.  My life is not noisy.  So why the desire for the stillness and quiet?

I don't have an answer, at least not for myself.  I would understand it more it I had a house full of kids, or lived in the middle of a busy neighbourhood, or found myself running from my full-time job to a part-time job to help make ends meet.  None of those apply to me.  I have one of the quietest lives of anyone I know, and yet I long for more quiet.  Perhaps I've idealized something about the stillness and silence that can be, or that I think can be.  Maybe it doesn't really exist - maybe the brief moments that I savour on a quiet weekend morning are as good as it gets.  And, truthfully, maybe that's really all I need.

I hear movement upstairs, and my quiet time is coming to an end.  My husband will come down the stairs and we'll chat for awhile, and enjoy a different kind of quiet time together.  And that's just fine, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment