Saturday, April 30, 2011

Nothing Better than Poppers and Margaritas

As much as I complain sometimes that I am in charge of meals through the workweek, and I'm tired of having to plan evening meals, buy what I need and then cook it all, I do love to cook.  I like to try new recipes, although I wonder how many "new" recipes I'm going to find - I have a bookcase full of recipe books, magazines and binders of clippings.

My favourite time to cook is on the weekend, when Jim and I plan the meal, work on it together and then enjoy it together.  Tonight is just such a night.  It's a beautiful, still night and Jim is standing at the barbecue, taking care of what's going into our "Mexican" meal.

It all started on Thursday, when I made chicken posole for dinner.  There were leftovers, and neither of us was in a position to take them for lunch on Friday.  We decided that we'd work out something Mexican to go with it for tonight.  What we eventually ended up with was margaritas and jalapeno poppers for nibblies, leftover chicken posole for the starter and barbecued steak fajitas for dinner.  Jim's out doing the steak and veggie mixture right now.

I have to say that the jalapeno poppers and margaritas were outstanding.  We make both of them from scratch, and you can really tell.  So ... as much as I never intended this blog to be a foodie blog, I'm going to pass on the recipe for both the poppers and the margaritas, as they really are the best.

Jalapeno Poppers
 10 medium-to-large jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup softened cream cheese
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fresh salsa
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs (although slightly a less amount of dried breadcrumbs works just as well)

Slice the peppers lengthwise in half, slicing right the stem so that the stem is still attached.  Scrape out the seeds and membranes.

Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese,salsa and breadcrumbs.  Stuff the mixture into the jalapeno halves.  Top with fresh breadcrumbs mixed with butter and parsley.  (I usually use dried breadcrumbs).  Bake for 20 minutes in 375-degree oven.

I have also made the recipe with 2 sliced green onions and a tin of crab, drained - it fills 12-15 peppers.  The results are so outstanding that I'll never go back to the frozen poppers filled with just cream cheese.

Now for the margaritas ...

For each margarita:

1 1/2 oz., gold tequila
1/2 oz. triple sec or other orange liqueur
1 - 1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice, according to how tart you like your margaritas.  Serve in a salt-rimmed glass (salt on the outside of the glass only).

The poppers are good, too, with frozen margaritas made with a can of limeade, 1/2 can of tequila, 1/4 can of triple sec and 2 cans of ice, blended, but are best, I think, with the first recipe.

Jim is bringing in the steak and veggies from the barbecue, so it's time to get the condiments together.  Another wonderful meal ...

No comments:

Post a Comment